Monday, April 18, 2011

The Body

The Body of Christ, The Church, is such a glorious and beautiful thing when it is compelled to lovingly serve and sacrifice out of obedience to God. Brian and I have experienced this love in real, practical ways since saying yes to adopting Julie. Here is a list of some of the ways in which people responded on behalf of Jesus to provide for the financial burden of this adoption. There were countless things that happened and I don't want to leave anyone out, but I am not writing these down to glorify people, but rather show how God moves and works through the hands and feet of his bride:

A friend I was just getting to know at work put an envelope in my pocket with a $500 dontaion in it that said "bring this baby home soon!".

Friends who currently have 4 biological kids of their own and were just about to start the adoption process for themselves handed us an envelope with $1,000 cash in it.

A man who only knows me through Costco came up to me while at work and said he was going to donate his catering services for our adoption fundraiser dinner. This man and his team served over 120+ people marinated chicken, a veggie casserole, salad, dinner rolls, mac & cheese and chicken tenders for the kids and dessert...no charge.

Our neighbor and friend who is a Photographer freely captured some of the nights memories for us [davidchandlerphoto.com].

The Starbucks Barista's where I go and get my morning coffe set up a donation cube with Julie's picture at their coffee counter for 1 week. There were 6 Barista's who are all college age ladies willing to donate their tips for the sake of the orphan.

My dear friend Rosa [decorator extraordinaire] offered her services for the fundraiser dinner. She came up with a "Love" theme that beautifully and tastefully brought pizazz to the room the night of our dinner.


On February 6th, 2011, we raised over 85% of the funds needed to bring Juliana home. This was done through people's generous donations, even in the midst of difficult economic times, because they were compelled to love and to serve.

Now, I want you to hear clearly that I am not trying to communicate something that says if you say yes to what God is calling you to that He will then bless you with money. This is Not at all what I'm saying. I am simply trying to capture the beauty of the body of Jesus Christ and what it means to live in community with those around you. God does provide sometimes in ways we would never even dream of.

Below are some pictures from the night of our fundraiser dinner. Such a gift. We are loved.






No comments: