Thursday, March 3, 2011

How it all started.


Back in early January of 2009 we were preparing to depart for Ethiopia to meet Ayantu and bring her home. On our adoption agency's chat board, I posted a comment to let others know when we were departing and if any one's child was at the same orphanage as Ayantu that we would be happy to take pictures of their kids. We got THIRTEEN responses. From Colorado to Wisconsin to Alabama to Hudsonville, MI! I connected with the family from Hudsonville as the Mom, Lindsay, came out to Costco a few nights before we were leaving to have Brian and I give her 2 boys a photo book of her family. I felt a strong connect with Lindsay right away...but little did I know what would happen!


We left for Ethiopia and were able to love on Lindsay's boys, Chala and Jonas. They were in the same room as Ayantu! Upon our return to the states 10 days later, I called Lindsay to let her know her boys were well and I had some photos for her. I saw Lindsay one more time when she came to pick up the memory card of pictures. She travelled with her husband, Brian, a few weeks later to bring their boys home too! I never saw Lindsay again, but we found each other on facebook and would comment every now and then about our kiddo's and the changes and growth we were going through.

Advance 9 months later to October 2010. I was sitting down catching up on some emails one night and saw I had a message on facebook from Lindsay. I don't remember the subject line, but the content of the email was used to bring us to where we are today! Here's what it said:

"Hi Jen!!

We sponsor a new orphanage in Ghana and we just received word that the Ghanaian social welfare has agreed to release 1 of the little girls for adoption. Her name is Julianna and she is 18 months old. We have agreed to prayerfully make contacts for any one who may be interested in adopting her. For whatever reason, God put your name on my mind. If you know of any Christian families who would be open to adopting this little girl, will you let me know??

She is gorgeous. I have pics if anyone wants to see them!

I hope you are well.

Lindsay"

When I read the email, I never even thought that God might be inviting Brian and I to do this again...so soon! We hadn't even been home with Ayantu for a year yet. So, I sat on it for a couple days before I even brought it to Brian's attention. I must have read the email a dozen times as I prayerfully tried to process what God was doing. Two days later I read a post on a friends' facebook status that said "it will always cost you something to be obedient to God". That night, I knew I had to share the email with Brian.

1 comment:

Gail Backus said...

an amazing story - thanks for sharing.